Yummy and healthy Turmeric smoothie recipe (Anti-inflammatory smoothie)
You may have heard about all of the health benefits of turmeric, but if you’re like me you’re probably wondering how to incorporate it into your diet some more. After a little bit of research, I’ve come up with a few easy ways to add it in, along with a very yummy smoothie that’s a powerhouse of vitamins and nutrients!
First, let’s talk about why it’s so important to add this into your diet. Turmeric has been used for centuries, around the world for it’s medicinal properties and modern science is now supporting the effectiveness of it. Some of the proven benefits include: Increased brain function, anti-inflammatory properties, increased antioxidant capacity of your body. Some studies have shown the curcumin in turmeric can target and inhibit the growth of cancerous cells. It’s also been shown to reduce your risk of heart disease and even help with Alzheimer’s, inflammation and many other health concerns. This is THE original superfood! You can take a concentrated curcumin pill as well, but I think it’s a good idea to incorporate turmeric into your diet wherever you can. I sprinkle it on eggs along with black pepper and use it in soups and any food that has complex flavors. It’s mild ginger-type taste blends in easily to most savory dishes. However, my favorite way to use it is in this delicious smoothie recipes.
Turmeric Green Smoothie:
1 cup coconut milk (almond milk works too)
1 cup pineapple (frozen or fresh)
1 cup kale
1/2 cup mango
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1/2 Tablespoon ground ginger or 1/4 inch slice of fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric, sprinkle a little black pepper.
This turmeric smoothie is tropical and sweet but not too sweet. You totally can’t taste the kale, the turmeric or the pepper. You’re going to love it!
One peeled orange
One ready banana
One glass solidified mango
Two set dates
One peeled thumb measure turmeric root
(you can likewise utilize turmeric powder rather than the root)
Water for mixing
Blend until fully combined. Pour and enjoy!
Reasons You Will ♡ This Turmeric Smoothie
- it’s a powerhouse of inflammation-suppressing ingredients like pineapple, kale and turmeric
- it is vegan, gluten-free and not too sweet
- you can prep it ahead and freeze
Let’s Talk Ingredients!
For this anti-inflammatory turmeric smoothie you’ll need:
- pineapple– start with frozen pineapple chunks
- kale or spinach– use spinach if you are newer to green smoothies as it has less flavor
- blending liquid– almond milk, oat milk, dairy milk, coconut water, or water
- turmeric – studies have shown that the active ingredient in turmeric, curcumin, is negatively impacted by light and storage temperature. For best results, store in the dark and at 5°C or lower.
- black pepper- the black pepper enhances absorption of the active anti-inflammatory compound in the turmeric. Don’t worry, you can’t taste it!
- optional add-ins– chia seeds, and ground flax
Meal Prep Tips
This turmeric smoothie works perfectly for meal prep! Here are some tips to get the most out of your prep:
prep this smoothie fresh or make freezer smoothie packs to save time!
if you do not have a good quality blender, blend the kale with the blending liquid first to get it completely smooth. Then, add in the frozen pineapple and other ingredients.
I hope you will love this smoothie! It’s one of my favorites. Do you use Turmeric on a regular basis? What are your favorite ways to use it?